Not all subjects studied at Key Stage 4 lead to an examination. This however does not distract from their importance. The Government has indicated that there are a number of non-examinable subject areas that should be studied by students in order to prepare them for adult life, and to equip them with the knowledge, understanding and skills to make future judgements for themselves as citizens and their families.
Cedar Mount Academy has always recognised the importance of Personal, Social, Health and Religious Education, more commonly known as PSHRE, and has developed a comprehensive programme for PSHRE delivery from Key Stage 3 and onto Key Stage 4.
Key Stage 3
The content of PSHRE at all year levels is designed to:
- To promote self esteem, a sense of purpose and acquisition of personal values amongst students.
- To emphasize the importance of tolerance and respect for the belief and cultures of others.
- To reinforce and give meaning in the taught curriculum to the Equal Opportunities policy.
- To provide knowledge and understanding that promotes active and constructive citizenship.
- To develop the skills necessary to cope in a complex and fast changing world.
- To encourage independent learning amongst our students and to take increasing personal responsibility for organizing their studies.
Key Stage 4
The PSHRE programme for Key Stage 4 builds on work carried out in Key Stage 3 and contains elements of Personal and Social Education, Health Education, including Sex Education and Drugs Awareness, Religious Education, Careers Planning and Decision Making, Moral Education, Economic and Political Awareness.
Students will be expected to learn about themselves as growing and changing individuals and as members of their communities with more maturity and independence. They should also become more self-aware and capable of greater sophisticated moral reasoning.
The programme of study sets out to develop not only knowledge, but also expects students to take on more responsibility for themselves and become more aware of the views, needs and rights of others.